Cadet lines in Herefordshire - Monnington-on-Wye, 1660s+
James Baskerville, of Monnington-on-Wye
- born c1642, Thornbury, Herefordshire
- died 1690, Monnington-on-Wye?
- parents Thomas Baskerville and Anne Baskerville (maiden surname not yet identified) of Thornbury
- Married c1659, at Monnington-on-Wye
to Mary [surname unknown]
- William 1660, Monnington-on-Wye - d ?, m. 1689 at Eckington, Worcestershire to Mary Beason^
- James* 1663, Monnington-on-Wye - d. ?, m. 1689 at Kidderminster, Worcestershire to Elizabeth Nott
- Elizabeth 1665 -
- Andrew 1669, Monnington-on-Wye - d. ?, m. c1700 at Monnington-on-Wye to Abigail (surname unknown)
- Susanna 1672, Monnington-on-Wye - d. ?, had issue
Children marked with an asterisk (*) are recorded in parish marriage registers with the surname Baskerfield - which gives some clue as to how this family pronounced its surname.
^ - this William may have married 1692 in London to Sarah Coombe, or 1697 at Tretire-with-Michaelchurch, Herefordshire to Elizabeth Taylor - more research is needed to determine this.
The possible parentage of James remains tenuous - not all of the IGI records are clearly sourced, but an unsourced reference names his father as Thomas Baskerville. The James Baskerville's born in the 1630s/40s in Herefordshire and Wales include:
Numbers 5 and 6 are obvious references to James, but the information is not verified and may be inferred rather than discovered. The reference to Thornbury may be a reference to James living in Thornbury at the time he married in his bride's parish of Monnington-on-Wye, rather than his birthplace. However, the Baskerville's of Netherwood, in the parish of Thornbury, are the most likely families of origin for James. Watkins has a Thomas Baskerville at Netherwood, in Thornbury in 1606, who descends from the second marriage of Sir Walter Baskerville [line #18] and Eliza, daughter of Milo ap Henry.
- James Baskerville, b 1632, son of Charles 'of Blyshall' and Jane (Williams, m. c1625); Charles b. c1600, son of Richard and Margaret (nee Dawks) - Richard m. Margaret c1588 - Richard b 1563 Eardisley, of Humphrey and Joan Pakington.
- James Baskerville, b. 1630 Wales, m. 1655 in Wales to Elinor Vaughan
- James Baskerville, b. c1632 Aberedw, Wales
- James Baskerville, b. c1633, Calne, Wiltshire, m. 1709 in Calne to Jane
- James Baskerville, b. c1634, Monnington-on-Wye, m. c1659 in Monnington-on-Wye to Mary (IGI provides no source for this information)
- James Baskerville, b. c1642, Thornbury, son of Thomas and Mrs Baskerville, m. 1662 at Monnington-on-Wye to Mary Baskerville (IGI provides no source for this information).
The Netherwood, Thornbury connection
It is possible to construct a line of descent for James through the Netherwood or Thornbury line; and for Mary through a Canon Pyon-Wormsley-Eardisley line. This is shown over lines #18 to #25, and can be difficult to follow as there are two marriages between cousins: James' g-g-grandparents Thomas Baskerville and Jane Baskerville, married 1540 at Thornbury; and Mary's g-grandparents Walter Baskerville and Jane Monnington married in 1553 at Eardisley. Both lines ultimately converge in Sir James and Lady Sibilla Baskerville, nee Devereaux, through three of their 11 children (Sir Walter, Phillip and Jane - see lines #17 and #18). Sir James was Lord of Eardisley Castle 1455 - 1494, succeeded by Sir Walter 1494 - 1508. Watkins wrote (1897: 43)
Owing to Sir James Baskerville's marriage with Sybella, daughter of Sir Walter Devereaux, Lord Ferrers of Chartley, who fell at Bosworth, the family is in direct descent from Edward I.
References and reading
- all entries in genealogical chart from International Genealogical Index online unless otherwise annotated.
- Watkins, Rev Morgan G., Collections Towards The History and Antiquities of the County of Hereford, in Continuation of Duncumb's History: Hundred of Huntington, Jakeman & Carver, High Town Hereford 1897 - this contains a pedigree of the Baskerville family.