Bruce is a historian working as the Site Manager of the Kingston & Arthur's Vale Historic Area (KAVHA) on Norfolk Island in the South Pacific. He was previously a Senior Heritage Officer with the Department of Planning Heritage Branch (formerly the NSW Heritage Office). He is an expatriate Westralian who moved to Sydney in March 1993. He worked with heritage practitioners Tropman & Tropman, and then Clive Lucas Stapleton & Partners Pty Ltd, before joining the NSW Heritage Office in 1997. He moved to Norfolk Island to take up his present position in September 2008.
Bruce joined his first historical society when he was 16, the Irwin District Historical Society at Dongara in Western Australia. He was a member of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society Affiliated Societies Committee, representing Country Districts, before coming to Sydney. He is a past member of the Royal Australian Historical Society Affiliated Societies Committee, representing the County of Cumberland, and was awarded a RAHS Certificate of Merit in 1996. Bruce is a member of the Professional Historians' Association (NSW), was a judge for the NSW Premier's History Prize in 2000, and for the National Trust Heritage Awards in 2008, was awarded a Centenary of Federation Medal in 2002, and was a member of the General Council of the History Council of NSW.
- Bachelor of Arts, 1st Class Honours, University of Western Australia.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Macquarie University (candidature deferred)
- Diploma in Family History Studies, Society of Australian Genealogists
Tuart Senior College, Tuart Hill, Western Australia, 1987
(Year 12 studies as a mature age student):
- Macquarie University, 1993-1996, Ph D Thesis: Contested Heritage Sites and the Role of History in the County of Cumberland, New South Wales.
- University of Western Australia, 1988-1992, Bachelor of Arts: relevant subjects:
- Honours Dissertation: Nature Conservation in Colonial Western Australia, 1870 to 1914
- Australian Historiography (A) honours year (1992)
- South African Historiography (A+) honours year
- Indonesian post-1945 History (A) 3rd year (1990)
- Migration History (A) 3rd year
- Historiography (A) 3rd year
- Australian Maritime History (A+) 2nd year (1989)
- British (Victorian) History A+) 2nd year
- Philosophy of History (B+) 2nd year
- Australian History (A) 1st year (1988)
- History (A)
- English (A)
- Politics (A)
- Biology (B+)
- Ranked in top 0.5% of students in the State in English; College Dux
Current job description and interests
Bruce joined the Kingston & Arthur's Vale Historic Area (KAVHA) management team in September 2008. He supervises the whole historic site, which is currently nominated for world heritage listing as one of the eleven Australian Convict Sites. He manages a team of conservation and maintenance specialists, and a research and interpretation team. Bruce is a qualified genealogist, interested in fusion history, counterfactual history, creative writing, languages (currently learning Norf'k), bird watching, cooking, yoga and fitness and collects various stuff.
- (forthcoming) A history of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, in Symbols of Australian Identity, editors Richard White and Melissa Harper, UNSW Press
- (forthcoming) Preparation of oral histories for Mokak-Nasir family of Broome and Darwin, in Reconciling Identities: Asian-Aboriginal Heritage in Western Australia, editors Christine Choo, Hannah McGlade & Pat Dudgeon, UWA Press
- (2010) 'Lone Pine: the tree of memories', 2899 Norfolk Island Lifestyle Magazine, Vol. 2, Iss. 1, January 2010: 10-17
- (2009) 'Kingston & Arthur's Vale: why is it of world significance?', 2899 Norfolk Island Lifestyle Magazine, Vol. 1, Iss. 3, September 2009:
- (2007) 'Old Government House Parramatta: a key link in Australia's convict history' National Trust Magazine, National Trust of Australia (NSW), Sydney, Spring 2007: 11-13
- (2006) How Brightly You Shine: an online exhibition commemorating the centenary of the NSW Coat of Arms, Curator, Heritage Office website.
- (2006) Model Brief for a Heraldic Survey & Heritage Assessment-, Heritage Office Information Serial, Parramatta
- (2006) 'Submission to Productivity Commission Inquiry into Historic Heritage', Australian Government's Productivity Commission website, www.pc.gov.au
- (2005-06) NSW Heritage Office website 'Place Names', 'Heraldry', 'Commemorative Calendar' pages as part of website re-design.
- (2005) 'Sustaining Heritage: conserving sets and classes of heritage items - assessing sets and classes of heritage items for the State Heritage Register', Proceedings of the Second International Engineering Heritage Conference, Engineers Australia Heritage Committee, Sydney (with Cameron White, Principal Heritage Officer), CD Rom.
- (2004) www.brucehassan.id.au, launched 10 August 2004.
- (2002) NSW Heritage Office website 'Historical Research for Heritage Purposes', 'Making comparisons', 'Conservation Management Plans' pages as part of website re-design.
- (2002) A Rural Rookery: a brief history of colonists, criminals and constables in the Irwin Valley of Western Australia, 1851-1868, revised version of a 1984 monograph, Irwin District Historical Society, Dongara.
- (2001) contributor to Horne, D & Irving, H., 2001: why are we celebrating?, NSW Centenary of Federation Committee, Sydney 2001
- (2001) advisor to Stropin, F & Marsden, S., (Eds) Twentieth Century Heritage: marking the recent past, Australian Heritage Information Network, Adelaide 2001.
- (2000) NSW Heritage Office website 'History' component; 'Assessing Historical Association: using State Heritage Register
criterion (b)', NSW Heritage Office Information Serial, Parramatta; 'Historical Research for Heritage', NSW Heritage Office Information Serial, Parramatta; 'A History of Heritage Listing', NSW Heritage Office Information Serial, Parramatta.
- (1999) 'Agreed to Without Debate: silencing sodomy in colonial Western Australia 1870-1905', in Aldrich, R., & Wotherspoon, G., Gay and Lesbian Perspectives IV: studies in Australian Culture, Department of Economic History & Australian Centre for Lesbian and Gay Research, University of Sydney: 95-115.
- (1998) advisor to Pennay, B., Placing Federation: a checklist for local studies of federation and surveys of federation places in New South Wales, Charles Sturt University, Johnstone Centre, Albury 1998.
- (1997-1998) Conservation Management Plans and heritage studies (whole document, including historical research and analysis):
St. Vincent's Presbytery, Ashfield,
- Cremorne Hall, Cremorne,
- Manly Pier, Manly Cove,
- St. Patrick's Estate, Manly,
- Brigidine Convent, Randwick,
- Woolwich Defence Land & Docks, Woolwich,
- Pier One, Walsh Bay,
- Public Trustee's Office Building, Sydney,
- ASN Hotel, The Rocks,
- War Veterans Retirement Village, Collaroy Plateau,
- Newtown Courthouse, Newtown, and
- Brisbane GPO, Brisbane.
- (1996-1997) Conservation Management Plans and heritage studies (historical research and analysis only):
- Pyrmont & Murray Street Terraces, Pyrmont,
- Water Board Meter Shop, Surry Hills,
- ES&A Bank Chamber, The Rocks,
- The Mining Museum, The Rocks
- Harrington Park house and estate, Narellan
- Surry Hills Academy, Surry Hills,
- Helena Villa, Balmain,
- Banbury Cottage, Rockdale,
- The Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park,
- Kayuga village and locality, Muswellbrook Shire,
- The Scottish Hospital, Paddington, and
- Willandra House, Ryde.
- (1995) 'The Problem Lies in the Reserves: Towards a History of "Political Ecology" in Southern Africa', Journal of Natal and Zulu History, No. 15, 1995: 65-91
- (1995) 'The Commons of Colonial New South Wales', in Knowing Places, Understanding Spaces: Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the RAHS with Affiliated Societies at Ultimo, Royal Australian Historical Society, Sydney: 58-63.
- (1992) 'Submission', in Submissions to the Inquiry into the Role of Protected Areas in the Maintenance of Biodiversity, House of Representatives Standing Committee on Environment, Recreation and the Arts, Volume 1, Submission 11, the Committee, Canberra: 99-103
Professional activities: seminars, conference papers, lectures, workshops, committees
- (2008) Earnshaw, B., 'An Australian Sculptor: William Priestly Macintosh', in Heraldry News: The Journal of Heraldry Australia Inc., No 42, July 2006: 8-14
- (2007) Hasluck, N., 'The Hasluck Banner', in Heraldry Australia Member's Circular, No. 128, July/August 2007: 3-5
- (2006) Rickwood, Peter C., and West, David J., (Eds), 'Blackheath: Today from Yesterday: the history of a town in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales', in Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, Vol. 93, Part 1., June 2007: 123-125.
- (2000) Geoffrey Bolton & Jenny Gregory, 'Claremont: A History', in Public History Review, No. 8, Professional Historians Association NSW Inc, Sydney 2000.
- (1998) Margot Beasley, 'Sydney Town Hall: a social history', in Public History Review, No. 7, Professional Historians Association NSW Inc, Sydney 1998: 170-173
- (1997) David Carment, 'Looking at Darwin's Past: Material Evidence of
European Settlement in Tropical Australia', in Public History Review, No. 5/6, Professional Historians Association NSW Inc, Sydney 1997
- (1996) Sue Rosen, 'Loosing Ground: An Environmental History of the Hawkesbury-Nepean Catchment', in Public History Review, No. 4, Professional Historians Association NSW Inc, Sydney 1995
- (1995) William J Lines, 'An All Consuming Passion: origins, modernity and the Australian life of Georgiana Molloy', in Asian Orientations: Studies in Western Australian History, No. 16, Centre for Western Australian History/Department of History University of Western Australia, Nedlands 1995: 164-166
- (1992) Hancock, Sir Keith 'Discovering Monaro: a study of man's impact on his environment', essay.
- (2008) 'Ready at All Times, at the Risque of Our Lives and Property: the Hawkesbury Resistance to the Usurpation known as the Rum Rebellion', Australia Day address to Hawkesbury District Historical Society, Pitt Town & District Sports Club, Pitt Town, 26 January 2008
- (2006 -) World Heritage Nomination of Convict Sites in Australia: member, National Steering Committee; Executive Officer, NSW Steering Committee (2006-2008), Norfolk Island representative 2008-
- (2006) Making Arms: the industrialisation of heraldry, Heritage Festival Event for Heraldry Australia, History House, Sydney 8 April 2006
- (2006) 'The Hawkesbury Commons: the beginnings of conservation and democracy in colonial NSW', Australia Day address to Hawkesbury District Historical Society, Macquarie Arms, Windsor 26 January 2006
- (2005) 'Sustaining Heritage: conserving sets and classes of heritage items - assessing sets and classes of heritage items for the State Heritage Register', Second International Engineering Heritage Conference, Engineers Australia Heritage Committee, Powerhouse Museum, Ultimo, 21 September 2005 (with Cameron White, Principal Heritage Officer)
- (2005) 'Work of the NSW Heritage Council's History Advisory Panel on the 'Place Names of Heritage Value' Policy, Australian National Placenames Survey, Macquarie University, Ryde 9 June 2005.
- (2004) 'Salter's Grant - historical foundations revisited - a discussion exploring the complexities of establishing
the history of our built environment', Heritage Festival presentation, Parramatta Park Trust, Dairy Cottage, Parramatta 1 May 2004 (with Natalie Vinton, Archaeologist)
- (2002) 'Bringing Themes to Life', presentation, Museums and Galleries Foundation NSW, Writer's Centre, Rozelle 26 September 2002.
- (2001) 'What does Heritage mean for the Family Historian?', speech notes for Director of Heritage Office, TD Mutch Memorial Lecture, Australian Society of Genealogists, Sydney, 22 February 2001.
- (2001) 'What is the Heritage Council of NSW?', lecture, Public History program, University of Technology, Sydney, March 2001
- (2001) 'History Publications of the NSW Heritage Office', Heritage Information Officers National Network Meeting, Sydney March 2001
- (2001) 'Local History and Thematic History', Grant us this day... Workshop Series, Royal Australian Historical Society, Sydney 28 February 2001.
- (2000) 'A History of Heritage Listings in NSW: a chronological overview', RAIA Register of 20th Century Buildings of Significance Forum, Royal Australian Institute of Architects (NSW Chapter), Sydney, November 2000
- (1999-) Heritage Council's History Advisory Panel: Executive Officer
- (1998-2001) History, Education and Civics Sub-committee, NSW Centenary of Federation Committee: member
- (1998-99) 'Local History, Local Heritage - research skills and uses' - series of workshops conducted with Zone (regional) Meetings of
affiliated historical societies, Royal Australian Historical Society/NSW Heritage Office, Orange, Dubbo, Uralla, Wagga Wagga, Sydney, Parramatta, Bankstown.
- (1998) 'History and Heritage', Annual Conference of the RAHS with Affiliated Societies at Port Macquarie, October 1998
- (1994) 'Talking About National Parks: intentions, making places and history in NSW and WA', 7th Biennial National Conference of the Australian Historical Association, University of Western Australia, Perth, 26-30 September 1994.
- (1994) 'The Commons of Colonial New South Wales', Annual Conference of the RAHS with Affiliated Societies at Ultimo, October 1994
- (2007- ) Heraldry Australia Inc., Vice President (Western Australia 2007-2008, Norfolk Island 2008- ), Editor Member's Circular, 2008-
- (1998-2002) Professional Historians Association NSW Inc., Secretary 1998-2001, Treasurer 2001-2002, member 25th Anniversary Conference Committee (Norfolk Island) 2009-
- (1996-2001) Royal Australian Historical Society Inc., elected member, Affiliated Societies Committee, representing County of Cumberland, 1996-2001; involved in assessing applications for Ministry for the Arts Cultural Grants for Local History, awarded a Certificate of Merit for services to local history in 1996.
- (1998-1999, 2006, 2008) History Council of NSW, member of Management Committee 1998-1999, 2006, Treasurer 1999, member of Governance Review Committee 2007, member of General Council 2008.
- (1993-1999) South Sydney Heritage Society Inc., founding member, member of executive as Secretary 1993-1996, President 1997-1999.
- (1992) Royal Western Australian Historical Society Inc., elected member, Affiliated Societies Committee, representing Country Districts.
- (1990-1991) University of Western Australia Guild of Undergraduates, member Guild Council 1990-1991, Guild Secretary 1990, Guild President 1991, University Senator 1991.
Honours and Awards
- (2008) Judge, National Trust Heritage Awards
- (2006) Invigilator, The Heraldry Society (UK) examinations in NSW.
- (2000) Judge, NSW Premiers History Awards
- (2002) Awarded a Centenary of Federation Medal 'for contribution to Australian society'
- (1996) Awarded a Royal Australian Historical Society Certificate of Merit
page first published 22nd July 2005, CV last updated 13th January 2010