The right of Bruce Baskerville to be identified as the moral rights author of this work is hereby asserted in accordance with the Copyright Amendment (Moral Rights) Act 2000 of the Commonwealth of Australia.
This bibliography was compiled as part of the research on my draft Ph D thesis at Macquarie University, Sydney NSW. The thesis remains incomplete.
A decade later the list features a bias towards the publications of community groups, popular conservation and scientific magazines, and professional journals. Noticeably absent are official publications and academic papers. I don't remember noticing the bias at the time. Three of the articles particularly influenced my thinking at the time: Gamble, Hodges and Walters, especially Hodges.
The List of 88
- Alder, R., 'Namadgi National Park', Canberra History Journal. (23), March 1989: 34-37
- Alder, R., 'National Parks in the ACT', National Parks Journal, 31(4), September 1987: 19-20.
- anon, 'Royal National Park', Habitat Australia, 7, April 1979: 3-6.
- anon. 'A Close Look at the Mountains [Blue Mountains landscape conservation areas]', National Trust Magazine, (39), April 1987: 15-17.
- anon, 'National Parks benefit from Reserves Bill', DOLA News, 28, August 1992: 15.
- anon. 'National Parks face Stormy Second Century', Australian Outdoors, 60, February 1980: 70-73.
- anon. 'NSW marks National Parks Centenary with Wollemi National Park on Sydney's Doorstep', Habitat Australia, 7, August 1979: 16-17.
- Armstrong, P., & Muir, B., 'Visual Perception of Conservation Value: the distribution of flora in John Forrest National Park', Journal of Environmental Management 26(3), April 1988: 221-228.
- Arriens, P., 'On the History of the Kosciusko Huts Association', NPA Bulletin, 23(2) December 1985: 14-15.
- Bardwell, S., '100 years of National Parks in Victoria: themes and trends', Parkwatch, (129), Winter 1982: 4-5.
- Bardwell, S., 'For All the People for All Time: a history of national parks in Victoria', RHSV Journal, 56(4), December 1985: 10-18.
- Bardwell, S., 'Queensland Pioneers [in parks]', Parkwatch, (120), May 1980: 86-93.
- Bardwell, S., 'Victoria's early National parks: how a vision became reality', Common Ground, 2(1), March/April 1989: 16-19.
- Barnes, PH, 'Heathcote National Park', National Parks Journal, 31(3) July 1987: 14-15.
- Barres, P.H., 'Heathcote National Park', National Parks Journal, 31(4), September 1987: 14-15.
- Bell, C., 'Macquarie Island: adventure of nature', Australian Geographic, 1(4), October/December 1986: 60-69.
- Birrell, M., 'Point Nepean: an historic and spectacular environment', Heritage Australia, 7(1) Autumn 1988: 47-48.
- Blomfield, J., Bouddi National Park extensions and Brisbane Water wetlands', National Parks Journal, 31(3), July 1987: 31-32.
- Boekel, C., & Taylor, P., 'The Growth of Aboriginal Participation in Natural and Cultural Resources Management', Australian Ranger Bulletin 4(4), 1988: 25-26.
- Bourke, M., 'National Parks in the National Estate', Habitat Australia, 11, April 1983: 6-9.
- Carrick, N., 'Sub-Antarctic National Park [Macquarie Is.]', Australia Now, 7(31), 1978: 20-23.
- Carron, LT, 'A Brief History of Forestry in Queensland [inc. NPs]', Australian Forestry, 46(2) 1983: 75-82.
- Catford, A., 'Barrenjoey: a nature reserve [history]', National Parks Journal, 31(5), November 1987: 14-16.
- Chanel, M., & Upitis, A., 'Carving up the Urban National Park: tracks in Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park', National Parks Journal, 31(4), September 1987: 9-11.
- Clark, E., 'Ecology or Heritage: a question of conservation', Ecopolitics II: Proceedings [Uni of Tasmania], 1987: 178-183.
- Clarke, K., 'Marramarra National park', National Parks Journal, 31(4), September 1987: 25-26
- Colebatch, H., A Cave Cover-up in Yanchep National Park', Quadrant, 31(11), November 1987: 70-71.
- Colley, A., 'The Greater Blue Mountains National Park', National Parks Journal, 28(4) September 1984: 29-31.
- Coote, G., 'A Singular Woman [Marie Byles]', Habitat Australia, 13(1), February 1985: 36-37.
- Cullen, P., 'Namadgi: a national park for the national capital', Bogong, 7(2), March/April 1986: 6-7.
- Dunphy, M., 'The First 8 Years: another view of the [NPWS] Advisory Council', National Parks Journal, 21, September/October 1977: 7-8.
- Edgecombe, J., 'When Bushwalkers Bought a Forest', Habitat Australia, 8, February 1980: 3-5
- Forrest, P., 'Cultural Heritage: stereotypes and realities', Historic Environment, 7(3-4), 1990: 21-26.
- Fox, A., 'Conservation versus Recreation: national parks at the crossroads', Australian Science Magazine, April-June 1982: 16-19.
- Gamble, C., 'The Artificlal Wilderness ['natural' landscape of Kakadu moulded by human occupation]', New Scientist, 110(1503), 10 April 1986: 50-54.
- Gare, N., 'The Commonwealth's role in the environment: the ANPWS', in Educating for the Environment: proceedings of a seminar and workshop, 6-7 May 1985: 31-33.
- Gittoes, G., & Crombie, B., '"...this magnificent dowry...": the centenary of the Royal National Park', Hemisphere, 23, November/December 1979: 352-354.
- Glascott, J., '100 years of our first people's park', Sydney Morning Herald, 24 April 1979: 7.
- Hall, CM, & Shultis, J., 'Railways, Tourism and Worthless Lands: the establishment of national parks in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the US', Australian Canadian Studies, 8(2), 1991: 57-74.
- Hall, CM, 'John Muir: the grandfather of national parks', Australian Science Magazine, 1, March 1988: 44-47.
- Harris, CR 'Towards a Historical Perspective [national parks in South Australia]', Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, South Australian Branch,
- Proceedings, 78, 1977: 55-71.
- Higgins, M., 'Namadgi's European Heritage', Heritage Australia, 10(2) Winter 1991: 25-29.
- Hitchcock, P., 'Management Planning in the Park and Reserve System of NSW', Institute of Foresters of Australia, Conference Proceedings, 13, 1989: 57-61.
- Hodges, S., 'To 'doze or not to 'doze: the role of historic sites in the Alpine National Park', Parkwatch, 163, December 1990: 13-15.
- Hunwick, D.J., 'Belair's place in National Park History: part 1 beginnings 1872-1891', People, Parks and Preservation, 5, 1987: 9-14.
- Hunwick, D.J., 'History of Park Acquisition in South Australia', People, Parks & Preservation, 6, 1988: 18-22
- Jehne, R., 'North Head Quarantine Station, Sydney Harbour National Park', Ports of NSW, 5(3), March 1985: 18-20.
- Johnson, D., 'An Alpine Retrospective: a history of the struggle to establish Victoria's Alpine National Park', Common Ground, 2(3), December 1989: 8-25.
- Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park Management Committee, 'Horses: their relevance in National Parks', National Parks Journal, 31(3), May 1987: 10-11.
- Lewis, B., 'The Trailblazer: how Myles Dunphy carved out a kingdom of great national parks', The Australian, 4-5 June 1988: Supp. 8.
- Linton-Smith, W., 'Inter-national Park at the South Pole?', Parkwatch, (112), March 1978: 18-21.
- Longworth, J., 'Heritage Talking: a semiotic analysis of a major railway museum...edge of Blue Mountains', National Conference on Engineering Heritage, Preprint of Papers, No. 6, 1992: 55-59.
- Lord, S., & Wells, G., 'A Greenbelt for Sydney: proposals for a number of national parks and national park extensions for the Sydney region', National Parks Journal, 31(3), July 1987: 5-6.
- Lunney, D., & Recher, H., 'The Living Landscape: an ecological view of national parks and nature conservation', in A Natural Legacy: ecology in Australia (1986): 294-328.
- Lunney, D., & Recher, HF, 'National Parks: a museum, a garden and an asylum', in A Natural Legacy - ecology in Australia: 184-189.
- Merlan, F., 'The Limits of Cultural Constructionism: the case of Coronation Hill', Oceania, 61(4) June 1991: 341-352.
- Moore, D, 'A History of the Timber Industry of the Central Coast of NSW [Bisbane Water NP]', Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, 74(1), June 1988: 59-71.
- Noble, D., 'A Bushwalker in the Colo Wilderness', Geo, 4, September/November 1982: 90-99.
- Pearson, M., 'The Acquisition and Preservation of Historic Sites', Parks & Wildlife, 2(2), 1978: 42-45.
- Pettigrew, C., 'One Hundred Years: Royal National Park', Australian Natural History, 19, April/June 1979: 318-323.
- Ramsey, AJ & Robertson, RW, 'Filling the Federal Vacuum: ANPWS', Australian Parks and Recreation, November 1979: 21-25.
- Richards, O., 'A Fairer Athens and a Freer Rome: historic public gardens in Perth', Heritage Australia, 1(1), 1982: 66-69.
- Rounsevell, D., & Copson, G., 'Southern Ocean Sanctuary: Macquarie Island Nature Reserve', Unesco Review, (10), March 1985: 9-11.
- Rounsevell, D., 'An ANARE Club Policy on Nature Conservation in Australian Antarctic Territory, Macquarie, Heard and McDonald Islands', Aurora [Melbourne], (15), March 1985: 9-11.
- Schoer, G., Muir, K., & Crombie, B., 'Royal National Park still isn't safe after 100 years [history]', National Parks Journal, 31(5), November 1987: 17-20.
- Seddon, G., 'Community Expectations of Metropolitan Parks and Recreation[Kings Park]', RAIPR National Conference Proceedings, 1987, Paper 2: 1-11.
- Sharpe, J., 'Brisbane Water National park: great park, terrible boundary', National Parks Journal, 31(3), July 1987: 33.
- Sharpe, J., 'Patonga Creek: an estuary of value', National Parks Journal, 30(4), September 1986:
- Sharpe, J., 'The Reopening of the 'Big Willandra' [pioneer pastoral property containing Willandra NP]', National Parks Journal, 32(3), July 1988: 38.
- Slade, B., 'The People in a People's Park: Sydney's Royal National Park', Geo, 7(4), December/February 1985/86: 64-77.
- Sourry, L., 'Dharug National Park and its Nineteenth Century Road', National parks Journal, 30(3), July 1986: 25-26.
- Story, R., 'Namadgi National Park: odd bits of history', NPA Bulletin, 21(5), September 1984: 4-5
- Tappere, CJ, 'In the Beginning was Mt. Field', Geo, 6(4), December/February 1984/1985: 68-79.
- Thompson, P., 'Dunphy and Muir - two mountain men', Habitat Australia, 13(2), April 1985: 26-27.
- Thorvaldson, F., 'Royal National park: one hundred years old', Landscape Australia, (2), May 1980: 86-93.
- Toyne, P., 'Cultural Heritage and Conservation', Bulletin [of Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Material], 16 (1-2), 1990: 59-66.
- Tucker, A., 'Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park', National Parks Journal, 31(4), September 1987: 27-28.
- Turner, A., & Garven, I., 'The Protection of Reserved Lands in the ACT [history]', NPA Bulletin, 25(2) December 1987: 5-6.
- van Osterzee, P., 'The Recreation Opportunity Spectrum - its use and misuse', Australian Geographer, 16(2), November 1984: 97-104.
- Veal, AJ, 'National Parks and future recreational demand', Leisure Options 1(3), July 1991: 15-20.
- Walters, B., 'Restoring Hattah/Kulkyne National Park', Trees and Natural Resources, 28(1), November 1986: 2-7.
- Washington, H., 'The Grand Canyon: recovery or regimentation?', Habitat Australia, 14(4), August 1986: 12-14.
- Washington, H., 'Wollemi: a new park for all seasons', Habitat Australia, 7, August 1979: 6.
- Waterhouse, R., 'Park Management: management of national parks in the Perth metropolitan region', Australian Ranger Bulletin, 3(1), 1984: 27-28.
- Weir, ICA, 'Recreation in Parks Managed by the National Park Service', Victoria's Resources, 21, March 1979: 28-33.
- Whitehouse, JF, 'Conserving What?: the basis for nature conservation reserves in NSW 1967-1989', Australian Zoologist, 26(1), March 1990: 11-21.
- William, J., 'Blue Mountains Heritage Study', Australian Parks & Recreation, August 1983: 6-10.
- Wycherley, PR, 'Kings Park in the 80s', Australian Parks and Recreation, 21(1), August 1984: 4-7.